Halcyon provides a full range of management services to suit your needs so please call for further details.

  • We offer and deliver 'Property with Peace of Mind'
  • Open and transparent fees with no hidden charges
  • Expert and up to date information on the Lettings market
  • Market leading cost effective insurance package for Landlords and Tenants
  • Overseas Landlords annual statement of rental income and expenditure
  • Buy to Let portfolio building
  • Independent appraisals
  • No long term tie in or excessive exit fees

We will notify the electricity, gas, water and the local authority when the tenant occupies your Premises, (provided you have supplied us with the contact details of your utility suppliers including the account numbers) and ask them to send a credit agreement and supply contract to the tenant. You will need to pay any outstanding utility charges up to and including the date upon which the tenant occupies the Premises and for any void period between tenancies. We will also need to provide the above suppliers with your new address and the meter readings at the commencement of the Tenancy. Some suppliers will not take instructions from Agents in which case landlords will need to contact them direct.

What does a landlord need to be aware of:

Safety Regulations
The letting of property is now closely regulated with respect to consumer safety. The law makes particular demands regarding the safety, servicing and inspection of the gas and electric appliances and installations within a property, and with respect to the safety of furniture and soft furnishings provided. The following regulations apply:-

  • Furniture and Furnishing (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988
  • Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
  • Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

The Landlord confirms that they are ware of these obligations and it is agreed that the Landlord shall ensure that the property is made available for letting in a safe condition and in compliance with above regulations, Halcyon will be pleased to help.

When the amount in dispute is over £5,000 the Landlord and the Tenant will agree by signing the Tenancy Agreement to submit the dispute to formal arbitration through the engagement of an arbitrator appointed by the Dispute Service. The appointment of an arbitrator will incur an administration fee, to be fixed by the Board of The Dispute Service Ltd from time to time, share equally between the Landlord and the Tenant. The liability for any subsequent costs will be dependent upon the award made by the arbitrator.

The statutory rights to either you or the Tenant to take legal action against the other party remain unaffected. It is not compulsory for the parties to refer the dispute to adjudication. The parties may, if either party chooses to do so seek the decision of the court. However, this process may take longer and may incur further costs. If there is a dispute we must remit to The Dispute Service Ltd the full deposit, less any amounts already agreed by the parties and paid over to them. This must be done within 10 working days of being told that a dispute has been registered whether or not you or we want to contest it.

Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 regulations came into force on 1 June 2020. They apply to new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and existing tenancies from 1 April 2021.

These Regulations require landlords to ensure that national standards for electrical safety are met (as set out in the18th edition of the 'Wiring Regulations' and published as British Standard 7671) and to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years. Landlords have to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested.

Under the Consumer Protection Act 1987 there is a statutory obligation to ensure all electrical equipment is safe which includes providing written instructions for each appliance. It is recommended that all landlords ensure they comply with these regulations by having an annual Portable Appliance Test (PAT) and electrical visual inspection by a qualified electrician.

Halcyon also offer the following advice:

  • Keep supplied appliances to the minimum
  • Make sure appliances are complete and in working order - keep receipts
  • Second hand appliances have been checked by an electrician before installation
  • Ensure flexes are in good order
  • Ensure earth tags are in place
  • Ensure plugs are of an approved type and conform to BS1363 or BS1363/A
  • Ensure all fuses are of the correct type and rating
  • Access is available for tenants of the location of mains consumer unit, fuses and isolator switch